I arrived in the US three months ago and many of my friends kept asking until when I’ll be here. Probably out of curiosity or maybe they are getting jealous of my vacation updates while they are stuck in their office. Whatever the reason is, I only have one answer to them – I have no idea until when I’ll be here. All I know is I’m crossing my fingers that I’ll be outta here before February 20 as I am only legally allowed to stay in the US until that date.
What’s holding me back then? Visa. My Qatar visa which is to be sponsored by my husband who is already there 2 months ago. The problem is, even he has not received his residence visa yet and it’s already been 6 months for him. I’m crossing my fingers that my visa won’t take that long.
So what have I been up to for the past three months? A lot!
1. I am finally up to date with my blog. I have had quite a break when a very unfortunate something happened but I am now back in track with my posts. I still have a lot of Sri Lanka posts that I need to do though but I can always write about it when I finally run out of things to write about my holiday in the US, which to be very honest – seems like never ending. I am having such a fun time here, we are always out and about every weekend so it’s quite hard to keep up. Not that I’m complaining.
2. I am helping my sister handling her business’ social media accounts. Actually, you are now looking (well reading the posts of) the Social Media Manager of my sister’s business – Catering by Norina. You’d think that it’s an easy job to do because let’s face it, I’m always online anyway but it’s a loooot of work. A whole lot of work. It’s not hard, it’s just that managing my own social media accounts, my own blog as well as my sister’s definitely takes a lot of my time in a day. I did a schedule that I am following each day but then, I figured that I can’t function that way. So I changed my daily schedule to a weekly schedule. Mondays, I’ll have to write posts for my site. Tuesdays, I’ll handle my sister’s instagram account. Wednesdays, I’ll schedule some posts for my Facebook page. Thursdays, I’ll schedule posts for my sister’s Facebook page. Fridays, I’ll have to write posts for my other site – The Greek Pinay. Saturdays and Sundays are my day off. 🙂
3. I am not just sitting in front of my laptop though for the whole day. The first thing I do in the mornings now is to have my 45-minute zumba workout which used to be a 45-minute walk on the treadmill. The treadmill bored the crap out of me, walking for 45 minutes in the same place makes me feel like I have not accomplished anything out of it. So I was thankful to know that my sister owns a Zumba Workout CD which is what I’m using now. After the workout, I’d clean the house a bit and take a shower. Do some things on my computer and then have my lunch. At around 2pm, I’ll have to go and pick up my nephew from school. Yes, I am now the designated driver of the family. Thrice a week, I’ll also have to drive my mom to do her groceries. In the evenings, I’ll study Greek which to be very honest, is not going anywhere. Up until now, I think I was able to add only 2 more greetings that I learned out of the CD that I bought. It’s a freaking hard language to learn. After getting frustrated with my Greek lessons, I’ll watch TV with my Mom before we go to sleep. That’s my day in a nutshell.
4. I have gained weight since I arrived in the US so I’m trying to lose all of it and some more. I’ll have to admit though that this weight gain is all my mother’s fault. She keeps cooking all these delicious dishes which reminds me of why I consider my childhood as the best years of my life. I burn calories from my workout and replenish it with more calories. I blame my mother for being such a great cook. At least now I have an excuse to tell my child if every he/she questions my cooking skills in the future – I don’t want them to gain weight.
5. Weekends are normally for us to discover a new small town nearby. I didn’t know that my mother’s place is strategically located for us to be able to explore a lot of small US towns that you don’t normally see in travel guide books. I’m not a big city girl fan and I am always on the lookout for charming small towns which will make me feel like I traveled back in time. The last one we’ve visited was Cumberland, Maryland. Lovely place! 🙂
6. I have done a lot of shopping since I arrived in the US so my problem now is, how am I going to bring all of those with me back to Doha. I considered a cargo shipment for 2 boxes but then I found out that one box would cost around USD800. That’s a lot more than what I’ve paid for everything that I shopped for so that’s a no no. I am considering buying extra luggage from the airline that I will use to Doha which will cost only USD150 per piece but it cannot exceed 32kg. Needless to say, I had to stop my shopping activities. Boo hoo!
7. I have been getting a lot of requests to write for a website or to feature a post on my site but I haven’t really decided yet as to how I will deal with those requests. There was one email that I received which sounded good to me and I was really considering it however, as a payment – they can only give me a feature on their Facebook page and on their website which doesn’t even make sense because I have a lot more activity/fans on my own Facebook page compared to theirs. Oh well. Let’s be honest here, this blogging thing right here will remain only as a hobby for me. I think.
8. As for where this blog is headed, I know one thing is for sure – I will stop writing about food because I’m not a food blogger and have no idea about the food that I’m eating most of the time anyway. I will mention the restaurants that I have dined in though but I will no longer have a separate post about it. It’s just taking a lot of my time and to be very honest, I don’t have anything to say other than “it’s delicious!” or “it sucks!”. So yes, I’ll be stopping the Foodie Wednesdays posts from now on.
Well that’s all that’s happening with me right now. Nothing exciting but I really am enjoying my time with my family here. I haven’t been with them for quite a long time and it’s a great feeling to be spoiled once again. 🙂